Updated Guidance for Monitoring & Managing Ground Gas
19 July at 10-12:00 BST, Online event
This online event, held in partnership with Brownfield & Regeneration Network Premium Partner NHBC, explored new, updated guidance, and different approaches to ground gas protection, including radon.
Purchase the Recording
Brownfield & Regeneration Network members get free, company-wide event access to all of our online events and recordings. If you are a member login here to register for free. If you are not a member and would like to become one please visit our website here.
If you have questions regarding the event please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
10.00 Welcome from Environment Analyst
10.05 Opening Remarks from the Chair:
10.15 NHBC Foundation Document: Hazardous Ground Gas - An Essential Guide for Housebuilders
Better assessment and management of ground gas risk ensures safe and efficient building of new homes. Following the six stage process and recognising the importance of competence at each stage will help housebuilders get it right first time and avoid potential pitfalls, saving time and money, whilst delivering homes safe from the potential risks of hazardous ground gas.
The new guidance is essential reading for all those involved in ground gas risk assessment, protection design, installation and verification. The guidance helps housebuilders and their advisors to:
- recognise high risk sites and the appropriate action to take
- avoid unnecessary gas protection on low/minimal risk sites
- appoint appropriate competent professionals at the right stage
- complete the process of assessment, design, implementation and verification
- implement monitoring strategies suitable for the size, complexity and gas risk of sites
The report importantly addresses the current gap between the conclusions and recommendations of ground investigation reports and the structural design of buildings
10.35 NHBC and Ground Gas - Changing Expectations for Ground Gas Risk Assessment, Gas Protection Design and Verification
This presentation will explore why updated guidance is needed to align with changing industry expectations.
10.55 Radon: Guidance on Protective Measures for New Buildings (BR211 2023 edition) - Exploring What's New
- What is radon?
- Radon mapping and risk
- Basic radon protection
- Full radon protection
- Inspection of work
- Advice on radon testing
11.15 Detailing How the Off-Site Sector Addresses Ground Gas Protection
- Highlighting that design at an early stage is essential
- Balancing installing part of the volumetric system with on-site methods
- Outlining current available guidance for the Off-Site Manufacturers
- NHBC approach and considerations to ground gas risk in modular buildings
- Independent Verification and the challenges to the off-site industry
- Installation best practice and considerations
- Training awareness for on-site technicians
11.35 Panel Q&A Discussion
Questions will be invited from the audience.
12.00 Closing Remarks from the Chair and Event Close