UK Business Leader Forums
Environment Analyst hosts a series of online and in-person UK Business Leader Forums, to enable senior leaders to come together and discuss pertinent issues in small, closed group settings.
These Forums are for Environment Analyst members.
To request an invite please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Moving up the Consulting Value Chain
22 March 2023, 3-4:30pm BST, online
The first Business Leaders’ Forum in Feb 2020 discussed how to improve the value proposition of environmental & sustainability consultants and effectively communicate this value to the C-suite so that the sector is seen as credible sustainability leaders and can compete on a more level playing field with other professional services firms who were beginning to enter the space.
At our 2022 Global Business Summit, the CEO of ERM, Tom Reichert talked about the need for innovation and building a “more integrated and successful business”. Environmental & sustainability consultancies are well-placed to offer technically-robust solutions, but helping companies to solve issues around carbon and sustainability management will mean “demanding a seat at the table”.
Three years on from the first meeting, this Business Leaders’ Forum discussed progress made since 2020 in moving up the consulting value chain, adopting a “strategic advisory approach” and how the widespread development of the ESG agenda has driven opportunities. With “implementing sustainability” perceived as a unique differentiator compared with the professional services firms, this Forum explored where this sector can and will add value, and what remain the barriers to overcome in securing that “seat at the table”
The forum also briefly discussed the potential for a UK recession and how this may impact both business opportunities and the sustainability agenda.
Exploring the Evolution of ESG in Environmental Consulting
21 June 2022
ESG has become an integral part of your clients’ businesses from climate and sustainability goals to employee recruitment and retention, and business ethics and governance. ESG factors are central to long-term growth and commercial success.
But what does this mean for the environmental consulting sector, your value proposition, and the services you provide? This in-person Business Leaders’ Forum, which took place on the eve of our 8th annual UK Business Summit, explored the impact of ESG and evolving client needs on environmental consulting services, how business models are evolving in response, and how to differentiate yourself in a world where everyone is “doing ESG”.
Following a couple of short industry opening perspectives, there was a group discussion on two topics:
Responding to Changing Client Expectations
Finding the ESG “sweet spot” – identifying where the sector can deliver the most value and differentiate itself
- Where does “traditional” consultancy fit in – transitioning from traditional permitting and compliance services to a more advisory-focused role
- Examining the role for SMEs
“Walking the Talk”
Showing leadership - managing your own net zero goals and internal ESG strategy and governance aligned with stakeholder and client expectations
Managing Organisational Challenges & the Impact of the “New Normal” on Business Structure, Culture, & Practices
22 July 2021
This Forum brought together senior executives from leading environmental consulting firms, as well as policy experts, early career professionals, industry participants, and strategic advisors to discuss the major issues and drivers impacting the growing skills shortage.
Key themes discussed include:
- How to attract graduates
- Improving the visibility of the sector
- Fostering skills for a successful career
- Employee retention and engagement
- Finding attractive propositions beyond salary
Making Sustainability Relevant: Creating the Right Package & Reaching the Right Peop
7 July 2020
This Forum discussed:
- Effectively translating the SDGs into tangible business and productivity goals as part of the environmental consultancy offering.
- Exploring the changes required in positioning, charging and language used to reach the C-suite and key decision-makers within client organisations.
Speaker: Ben Murray, CEO, Avieco
Accelerating the Delivery of a Zero Carbon Economy
1 July 2020
This Forum explored:
- Alternative partnerships & coalitions to maximise collaborative value & accelerate innovation (Pledge to Net Zero initiative)
- Practicalities of applying a natural capital approach & measuring environmental Impacts
- How the tools available can be used effectively to enable better decision-making and help deliver a zero carbon economy.
- Matthew Farrow, Executive Director, Environmental Industries Commission
- Robert Spencer, Director, Sustainable Development, AECOM
Improving the value proposition of environmental consultancy
The first Environment Analyst Business Leaders’ Forum meeting of 2020 saw animated discussion around three interrelated themes of digital disruption, value proposition and the future environmental consultant.